Thursday, December 18, 2008

Taco TV Tuesday

WHAT? Yeah, that's what I'm going to explain.

First I want to thank my kids for being such a great example to me. They LOVE family time (I know, give it a few years) and because of that, they are always coming up with new, creative things we can do together as a family.

It all started a couple of months ago. We enjoy watching the Biggest Loser together (my kids are really into being healthy, don't know where they come by that.... ;) Anyway, we DVR it since we can't always watch it at that time. However, Dan had 2 of his own programs that he insisted we could not override. So we started recording Biggest Loser on the kids TVs. That meant when we wanted to watch them, we had to head into one of the kids bedrooms to do it.

It just so happened that the first week we were doing this, I made Taco Soup for dinner, and my kids love taco soup. We loaded up our taco soup and headed down to Mason's room on Tuesday night and watched Biggest Loser (I know I know, shouldn't we have been eating grilled chicken and steamed broccoli instead?). We had such a good time that Mason said, "Mom, we should do this every week!" And so a new tradition was born- Taco TV Tuesday (how's that for alliteration-who says a SAHM doesn't use her college education?).

Each week, the kids help (yes, they really do) me cook the taco soup. They now know how to brown hamburger and tell when it's done, how to cook onions etc.... and when it's all ready, our fun begins.

Now that Biggest Loser is over (and thankfully turned out the way I wanted it to), we get to pick a new show to watch on Tuesday nights (like I said, thanks to DVR, it doesnt actually have to be ON on Tuesday nights, so that opens it up a bit) that we all will enjoy.

4 comments:

Addison, Crew, Carter & Canon's Mama said...

This is such a great idea!
How cute that the kids think of ways to spend more time as a family- those are terrific kids! :)

Our Family said...

That is funny. Hadlie and I watch biggest loser every week too. It's funny that the kids get so into it.

Holly said...

What a fun little tradition!!! I'm with you on how Biggest Loser turned out. I swore to the hubbs I'd boycott Biggest Loser if Vicky won! Bad me!!!

Tatiana said...

That's awesome! We have Macaroni Movie Night about once or twice a month!