Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Social Sushi


Sometimes it seems as if, when I look back on my life, it's divided into pre-move and post-move. We had a great life in Idaho, but so much has changed since we made the move. I think it's fair to say that as happy as we were before, we have found even more happiness since. It's amazing what happens when you are where you belong, when you belong there.

Over the past several years, I've maintained a pretty active social life. I've considered it a blessing to be able to have that in my life, when I know a lot of moms struggle to find people outside of their family that they are close to. I had a remarkable group of friends in Idaho and was never lacking for someone to go spend girl time with. I am forever thankful to those friends and I love them dearly.

Daniel, however, was not all that social. A big part of that, I believe, came down to the amount of stress he was under at work. He had plenty of friends at work, but when he came home, he often times just wanted to unwind and have a little alone time. He rarely ever went out with guy friends.

Since the move, that has all changed. Once again, I have been so blessed to find such great friends, in such a short period of time. I never imagined I would feel this at home so soon after the move. Dan, on the other hand, has morphed into this social creature which was never before seen :) He often gets together with is guy friends for "Menrichment" (I know you laughed at that!), to see a movie, go out to eat, play some basketball, or whatever else they feel like. Luckily for us, most of his guy friends are the husbands of my girl friends! This makes things that much more fun when we all get together as couples.

This past weekend, my sweet little sister Miriam and her wonderful family, came down to visit us. It was perfect timing since we had a sushi date planned with a few of our friends. Miriam's kids and my 2 older kids are very close so they were thrilled to be able to spend time with each other. We left the kids home and went out to sushi with our good friends the Wycherlys, the Twittys and the McConkies. They are all in our ward and we've grown to love them in the short time that we have lived here.

We went to my favorite sushi restaurant (I should come clean and say I've never liked sushi until recently but after eating at this place, I'm hooked!), Blue Fish. The food was fantastic and so was the company. I got some quality time with my sister and her hubby, that I love every bit as much as I love her.

We had a great time at sushi and the kids had a great time with each other. I am thankful to have found a group of friends that we have so much in common with. It's been fun to see this new social side of Daniel and be able to involve him more in these kinds of activities. He can be the life of the party when he isn't hiding behind an iPhone or computer. At the risk of sounding repetitive, I am once again thankful for the new life we have built here and all the blessings that we have been given. Life is good!

1 comment:

kimberly said...

i just love your guts and look forward to many memories to come!!